Vastu Shastra is one of the ancient teachings from the Indian civilization. It deals with the science of the architecture and tells how a building should be planned to channelize the positive energy in our lives. The proper implementation of Vastu techniques has brought peace and prosperity to many households for centuries. Though Vastu started out with the construction rules for Hindu temples, it soon branched out to residential houses, office buildings, vehicles, sculpture, paintings, furniture etc. The science of Vastu is mostly based on directions and the building materials used, along with many other minor factors.
The Indian civilization is the oldest in the world and has a rich heritage of developing different branches of science. Vastu Shastra is one such discipline that developed over the years based on the traditional knowledge gained from studying the nature. The age old Indian philosophers knew a lot about the five elements that made the universe.
They also had knowledge about the gravitational field, magnetic field, the position of the earth, velocity of the winds, ultraviolet rays, the intensity and volume of rainfall etc. Application of this knowledge certainly made sure that the construction of the house was scientific and spiritual at the same time. This is knowledge that people have garnered through years and years of study and test as well.
The five elements of Vastu Shastra:
There are five elements that are really important in Vastu Shastra. These are-
According to the traditional knowledge, the entire universe around us is made up of these five basic elements. In fact, the five elements of the nature have to be coordinated with the five elements of the human body as well. This coordination is critical as this is what makes human relationship harmonious. Knowledge of the elements can really make it beneficial for people to know more about Vastu Shastra and also help them realize the reason why they have to make certain changes in the house or put certain things in certain places.
The elements can determine the way particular directions interact with particular objects or certain kinds of people. It would be bad for a fire sign to set up an office in the corner that represents the water corner. These little details of Vastu is not just based on the directions and the elements of the nature, but a little on the personality of the dweller, or at least the element that the person was born into.
Other than the elements, the directions in Vastu Shastra are the most important factor of this ancient practice. When constructing a house, making sure that everything is in the right corner is of utmost importance and this is why it is necessary for people to know all about this. Here are the eight directions in Vastu Shastra and their specific characteristics:
East: East stands for sunrise, or new beginnings. It is very advantageous for people who are trying to end something bad and getting started with something new. It is the direction of prosperity. Here are the things in the house that can be in the eastern part of the house or face the eastern direction:
- The entrances to the house, living room, study and the place of worship should face the east.
- Treasure boxes, lockers etc. should open towards the east to promote prosperity.
- No kitchen or toilet should be in the east.
- East direction should not be in a more elevated range than the west, south west and the North West directions.
West: West, is probably the most pitiable direction. Out of all the Vastu directions, this is the one that has more instructions for 'don'ts' than 'dos'. People who live in the western part of the house or have entrances opening to the west direction do not lead a happy life or a prosperous one. The western direction is the direction for women; however, even then the success of the woman will not be complete or really big. The west is the direction where the sun sets, which means that this direction is not really good for beginnings. There are the things that one needs to be aware of about the western direction:
- It is better to have a staircase or a tank in the west than anything else.
- One could consider having an office here, as a second choice of offices, especially within the house.
- Store the garbage bins or build the garage in the western direction of the house.
North: North is the direction that is best for the business people who are interested in applying some Vastu in their lives. The planet that rules over this direction is mercury, which makes it really beneficial for people to have offices in this direction. In fact, it has been found that the UV rays cast by the sun have the least negative effect in the northern parts, so having any open space in the northern area would be a good move. The north is really auspicious and the following steps have to be taken care of when one is trying to take advantage of Vastu for better life.
- Have the office in the north part of the house or the building for maximum success.
- It is better if there is a slope or elevation on the north side.
- Keep construction in the north to the minimum, so as to maintain the efficiency at highest. If there are perennial constructions in the north, prosperity will certainly vanish.
- Do not have any toilets or garbage bins in the north.
- Do not put any staircases in the north, for it can promote financial loss in one's life.
- Do not keep the kitchen in the northern part of the house either.
South: The south is quite a contradictory direction. There is some fear among those who follow Vastu Shastra about this direction. This is because of the fact that there are mixed feelings about whether this direction works for people or not. Say, if one builds a house with a south facing entrance, they might be successful for the first few years, but after that the money will begin to stagnate and eventually start decreasing. Hence, it is better to use the south direction in cycles, so as to keep all the bad luck far away.
- Keep the south direction portion elevated compared to the rest of the house.
- Try keeping a tank or an overhead tank in the south portion.
- Put the staircase to the house in the southern part.
- Do not put a basement in the south direction.
- The kitchen and dining room should not be in this direction.
North-East: North-east is the direction of god. It is the most auspicious one and it is known to promote positive aspects in men and women. When taking care of the northern corner or side of the structure, remember the following details to take advantage of Vastu:
- Open spaces in the north-eastern direction is a good idea.
- Having a slope in the north-eastern area would be a smart step.
- Try having a street outside the entrance, especially if the entrance is in the north-east.
North-West: The north-west is the direction that handles interpersonal relationships. The kind of relationships people have with the other members of the family certainly depends on the same. Here are a few things that you would certainly have to keep in mind:
- There should be no underground water tank in the north- west part of the house.
- The kitchen, the dining room and the master bedroom should certainly not be in this direction.
- No extensions should be made from this direction.
- Avoid having a basement in the north-western part of your house.
South-East: South-east is the direction of the logical and reasoning person. Here are some of the important things you need to know about this direction:
- It is very beneficial to have the kitchen in this direction.
- Any electrical instruments, like TVs, motors, batteries, inverters, home theatre, etc. should be placed on the south- eastern side of the room.
- Do not have a toilet or a tank in this direction.
South-West: This is the direction of the demons, the opposite of north-east. As a result of this, it can command the business field and the decisions made in that field. Here are some important things for you to keep in mind:
- Rent out the place in the south-west part of your house.
- Do not have any overhead tanks or basements in the south west for it promotes discord.
"Acharya Ji helped us in making our house perfectly according to Vastu Shastra. Our house is totally builded by Vastu and we are happily living in the house without any Vastu problems. Me and my family is really Thankful to Acharya Ji."
Mr. Vikram Singh Yadav, Gurugram